To Samohi Band Parents:
We are seeking a volunteer for a short-term help that the directors need every Spring. The Awards Chair communicates with the directors to get an accurate list of Samohi Band Seniors and other honorees, to get trophies, etc. in time for the May 23rd Pops Concert.
The job involves a lot of phone calls and emails, and a few trips to trophy shops in Santa Monica and Westwood. If you volunteer, we would also like you to make sure that your successor has all of the details necessary to continue the job.
To volunteer, please contact us at email@example.com, or use the “Contact” tab at the top of this web page.
Samohi Band Awards may include:
– The Fermata Award for four years of dedicated study and performance with the Samohi Concert Bands, Jazz Bands, Marching Band or Color Guard;
– The Nautilus Award, recognizing Band student honors at the regional, state, or national level;
– John Philip Sousa Band Award, recognizing a graduating Senior for “superior musicianship, dependability, loyalty, and cooperation;”
– Richard Wagnon Director’s Award, presented to a graduating Senior for “outstanding musicianship;”
– The Glenn Katz Memorial Scholarship, presented to a Senior music student who is planning to pursue music in college, and who has made “significant contributions to the Samohi Music Department;”
– Kiwanis Solo Instrumental Competition Scholarships: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners divided into a 9th and 10th grade division, and a 11th and 12th grade division. This competition occurs after school, and the selection of finalists is made by an independent adjudicator. (Samohi Band directors are not involved in the Kiwanis selection process; students should look for application information in late April.)
|John Philip Sousa Band Award