Viking Marching Band & Color Guard students wear several types of uniform shirts. Every year, we use a portion of donations to the Marching Band and fundraising to pay for casual uniform items.
- Every year, each new OR returning student receives one new rehearsal shirt (Viking helmet for musicians; crossed flags for Guard).
- McKeown expects students to wear the rehearsal shirt to every Thursday or Friday evening rehearsal. Visit the Samohi Band Calendar for rehearsal dates and times.
- Musicians wear the rehearsal shirt under their uniform pants on competition days. Sometimes, there will be a rehearsal on Friday night and a competition the next day. Returning students may wear their shirt from any year, so this shouldn’t be a problem for students with multiple shirts. If new students are concerned about doing laundry on Friday night, spare rehearsal shirts are available for sale for $8 each. Information about how to order them will be posted soon on the Band website.
- Guard students wear the crossed flags rehearsal shirt to Thursday or Friday evening. Guard members should check with the instructor about what to wear beneath their competition costumes.
- FOOTBALL SHIRTS (a.k.a. v-neck or “retro shirt”)
- Football shirts are expensive and sold only from one shop located in Georgia. We provide one casual uniform shirt to each new student. If returning students need a new football shirt (e.g., their old one is too small or missing), returning students will receive a new football shirt upon request. Please try to help us keep costs down by taking care of the football shirt. If you want to order an extra football shirt, spare football shirts are available for $15 each.
- All musicians AND Guard wear the casual uniform shirt to football games. This is also the typical uniform for pep rallies, parades, and local informal gigs. Students may wear their choice of pants, shorts, or comfortable skirts below the football shirt, but the outfit should comply with the Samohi dress code.
- BAND JACKETS/WINDBREAKERS – Were distributed by the student leaders to welcome new members into the Band. Each new student receives one jacket. If returning students want a new jacket, we ask them to donate $30 to cover the cost. Please take good care of your jackets.
- When in uniform – whether Competition or Casual – students are representing the Santa Monica High School Band. They are expected to behave in a manner that reflects well on their bandmates and instructors.