Each year, the Viking Marching Band and Color Guard (VMB) competes with bands from all over Southern California in field-show tournaments (competitions/comps) adjudicated by the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA).
For SCSBOA-adjudicated comps, bands are assigned to one of six divisions based on the total number of performing musicians. With 137 performing musicians this year, the Samohi Viking Marching Band has for the first time moved up to Division 5A!
In 2019, the VMB will compete in the following tournaments/comps:
- October 19 (Saturday): Baldwin Park Field Tournament at Baldwin Park High School, 3900 N. Puente Ave, Baldwin Park, CA 91706
- October 26 (Saturday): Simi Valley Band Spectacular at Simi Valley High School, 5400 Cochran Street, Simi Valley, CA 93063
- November 2 (Saturday): Hart Rampage Tournament, College of the Canyons, 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, 91355
- November 7 (Thursday): Valencia High School Field Show Tournament at Valencia High School, 27801 Dickason Drive, Valencia, CA 91355
- November 9 (Saturday): Savanna High School Field Tournament at Glover Stadium, 1125 N. La Palma Parkway, Anaheim, CA 92801
- November 16 (Saturday): SCSBOA Field Show Championships, Warren High School, 8141 De Palma St, Downey, CA 90241
- Includes top 12 5A bands only — save the date and cross your fingers!
On competition Saturdays, you will usually drop off your student at Samohi at around 10:30 am with a bag for the day and a packed lunch, water, and snacks. They should be wearing their rehearsal shirt and shorts/leggings, and they should pack Dinkles marching shoes and black socks. You will receive a “school bus email” a few days before each competition with final performance times and packing lists.
Students rehearse at school, eat lunch, and finally board the buses for the competition in the afternoon. When they arrive at the comp, they rehearse some more, eat dinner (which is included in the marching band donation), and walk onto the field for their performance, which is usually in the evening.
If you would like to see your child perform and cheer on the Samohi Viking Marching Band, you are very welcome to come out to the comps on your own. There are varying entrance fees for each venue. Make sure you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to Samohi’s start time – give yourself time to find parking and seats.
And please remember, no matter how late you stay at a comp, you will not be leaving with your student. They always go home on the bus, and you will meet them in the Samohi parking lot at around 11 pm or 12 am.
A championships grid will be maintained and made available on the SCSBOA website for ensembles to track their placement. The grid will consist of all groups, separated by division, attempting to qualify for championships; all show dates that qualify for championships; all scores received by the groups listed; and a running tally of the combination of the three highest scores obtained by each group.
The top 12 ensembles in each division are invited to perform at the SCSBOA Field Show Championships on Saturday, November 16, at Warren High School. We expect the VMB to be there.