The 2018-19 online registration form is now open! Please visit the link below to send us your contact information and fill out important permission slips. Go Vikings!
ATTENTION: Students and potential chaperones attending the Wind Ensemble Tour in Rome, Italy – April 6-13, 2019:
In order to participate in this tour, you must have a passport that is valid until at least October 14, 2019.
If you are a U.S. citizen you MUST leave and enter the U.S. as a citizen; i.e., even if you are a citizen of another country, you can not legally use your foreign passport to pass through U.S. immigration.
If your passport expires on or after October 14, 2019, please click on the link below to submit a scan of your passport. The travel agent requires this scan, in order to book the flights for you:
If your passport expires before October 14, 2019, please follow the instructions below to renew your passport, or to obtain a new one.
First-Time Passports OR Replacement Passports for applicants who were under age 16 at the time their last passport was issued:
Step 1: Start Early – Gather Documents
Apply for your passport several months before your trip. First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who were under age 16 at the time their last passport was issued must submit their passport application at an authorized Acceptance Facility (see below). The U.S. State Department website explains what you’ll need to bring with you. Here is a summary of the documents you will need:
- Application forms (unsigned)
- Proof of identity document and a photocopy of the front and back
- Acceptable forms of identification include an existing passport, naturalization certificate, driver’s license, military ID card or other current government-issued ID. A photocopy of the identity documents also must accompany the passport application.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
- Birth Certificate showing birth in the US – This must be an original or certified copy of the long-form certificate showing your parents names, issued by the municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not accepted. You can acquire a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Office of Vital Statistics in the location of your birth or through VitalChek.com
- Previous US Passport – Both valid and expired passports may be used. If your appearance has changed significantly since your passport was issued, you may need to submit a different form of proof of US citizenship.
- US Naturalization Certificate – Original or certified copy.
- Consular Record of Birth Abroad – If you were born overseas to a US parent, you can submit an original Consular Record of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350).
5. Passport fees – LINK to current fees
Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package
- Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.
- Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
- Print your completed application.
- DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. Your signature must be witnessed by a representative of the Acceptance Facility where you submit your application.
- Have a passport photo taken.
NOTE: Many drug stores (Rite Aid, CVS) and Passport Service offices can take your photo. If you plan to have your photo taken at the time of your passport application, call or check the site’s website before your appointment, to confirm whether or not your Passport Service office takes photos.
- Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
- Calculate your fees – LINK to current fees
- Call or check the website of your Acceptance Facility, to learn what forms of payment they accept for their fees.
- Prepare payment for State Department fees. State Department fees are mailed with your application. You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier’s, traveler’s check, or money order, payable to “U.S. Department of State.”
Step 3: Find a Passport Application Acceptance Facility – 2 Suggestions:
- The Santa Monica City Clerk’s Office is an authorized United States Passport Acceptance Facility. This is an especially convenient location for Samohi Students. The City Clerk’s Office is located inside City Hall, 1685 Main St, Santa Monica. Passport Service hours are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Click on the link below for more information:
- United States Post Offices have set hours for passport services. MANY REQUIRE AN APPOINTMENT. Use the “Find USPS Locations” tool to find the nearest Post Office offering passport services. Here are the instructions:
- Go to: Find USPS Locations
- Select Passports from Location Types.
- Enter a ZIP Code™ or address.
- Select a mileage range.
- Click Refine search to select services such as walk-in, appointment, or photos.
- Click “Search.”
Special Requirements: Passports for Minors Under 16
Passport applications for children under 16 have special requirements:
- Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a child’s passport. The best way to give consent is for both parents/guardians to go with the child when applying.
- Children need evidence of citizenship.
- Parents/guardians need proof of parental relationship.
- NOTE: Children’s passports are valid for only 5 years.
- Click here for the U.S. State Department instructions on how to apply for a passport for children under 16: Apply for a Passport – Children Under 16
Senior Photo Deadline for the 2018 Pops Concert is Monday, May 14!
The Samohi Bands have a long-running tradition of including baby & early childhood photos of graduating Seniors in the program for the Pops Concert, the Concert Bands’ final concert of the year. We include baby photos of all Seniors, including Seniors in the Jazz, Marching Band, and Color Guard programs.
Senior Band Families, please send us:
- One baby/early childhood image of your Senior student. It’s especially fun, if you have a photo related to music or instruments, but any childhood photo will do.
- One recent photo of your student. Scanned Senior portraits look great, but any photo you like will be fine.
Before you upload photos, please zoom in on them to be sure that the resolution is good. Try to use a photo that is at least 300dpi. The same photos will be displayed in the Senior Slideshow.
Please EMAIL PHOTOS to email@example.com
Queridas familias de los los músicos en 12° grado,
El Concierto “Pops” del 25 de mayo es también nuestra noche para celebrar su tiempo con las Bandas de Samohi. Las bandas tienen una larga tradición de incluir fotos de los estudiantes cuando eran bebés o niños pequeños en el programa para el Concierto Pops, el concierto final del año escolar. Incluimos fotos de todos de todos los músicos, los estudiantes en los programas de Jazz, Marching Band y Color Guard incluidos. Por favor use este formulario para subir:
- Una imagen de su estudiante cuando era bebé (o niño pequeño). Es especialmente divertido, si tiene una foto relacionada con música o instrumentos, pero cualquier foto de la infancia servirá.
- Una foto reciente de su estudiante. Los escaneados de los retratos para el anuario se ven geniales, pero cualquier foto que te guste estará bien.
Intenta encontrar una foto que sea al menos 300 ppp. Las mismas fotos se mostrarán en el video llevado a la gran pantalla durante el concierto.
Please EMAIL PHOTOS to firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you submit an application to audition for a 2018 All-Southern California Honor Group?
AUDITION TIMES HAVE BEEN POSTED FOR All-Southern California Honor Bands, Orchestras, and Jazz Bands.
CLICK HERE to check your audition time at your location.
- Click on the link above.
- Scroll down under the audition date and site you selected: either December 9, 2017 at Tesoro High School in Rancho Santa Margarita OR December 10, 2017 at Hoover High School in Glendale.
- Click on your instrument. If you are auditioning for more than one instrument, be sure to check both audition times.
To all Concert Band students:
The Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA) has opened the application process for All-Southern California Honor Bands, Orchestras, and Jazz Bands – January 25-28, 2018 in Garden Grove, CA.
The process has changed from last year! ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE, DIRECTLY TO SCSBOA.
The time-stamped deadline for High School applications/fees is 11:59 PM on Friday, November 3, 2017.
- CLICK HERE to read the application instructions and access the online application.
- You will need to PRINT a Director Endorsement Form. Your must have your form signed by your Concert Band instructor (Mr. Sakow or Mr. McKeown), and then upload your signed form to the online application. Do not wait until the last minute to get your form signed!
CLICK HERE to download/print the Director Endorsement Form
- Click here for: All-Southern Honor Group Audition, Rehearsal, and Performance Schedule
- To prepare for the audition, click here for: High School Honor Group Audition Music & Scales
In order to perform with the group, Samohi Concert Band students are required to wear EITHER
- a tuxedo, a black suit, or black pants and black jacket with a white button-down dress shirt – OR –
- an approved Concert Band Black Dress
See suit and dress images below.
Tuxedos and suits can be purchased for less than $100 from JC Penny, Amazon and other discounted Men’s stores. Tuxedos can also be rented for the year from Elite Tuxedo, which will fit students during all Concert Band class periods on a date to be announced in class and by email. Elite will alter the suits and/or exchange tux sizes throughout the year at no extra charge. Elite Tuxedo formal wear prices and order forms can be found at our website “Forms” Page. Printed forms will be available in the Band Room shortly before the tuxedo fitting day.
Black Concert Dress
If you wish to purchase a new Concert Dress, there are four available styles. If you would like to borrow a dress, we will try to lend you the style you want, but most of our loaner dresses are in the long-sleeve “Style A”. Fittings to determine your student’s size take place during all Concert Band class periods on a date to be announced in class. Dress order forms are available on our website “Forms” Page.
Para participar con el grupo en los conciertos, se requiere que los estudiantes de las Bandas de Samohi usen – O –
- un esmoquin, ó un traje negro, ó pantalón y saco negro con camisa abotonada blanca – O –
- un Vestido Negro Aprobado
La faja “cummerbund” es opcional.
Los esmóquines y trajes se pueden comprar por menos de $100 en JC Penny, Amazon y otras tiendas de descuento de ropa de hombre. También se pueden alquilar los esmoquínes anualmente a través de Elite Tuxedo. Pruebas para determinar los tamaños de los estudiantes serán durante todas las clases de Banda de Concierto, en una fecha que será anunciada pronto. Elite ajusta los esmoquínes y/ó intercambia tallas de esmoquínes durante el año sin gasto adicional. Usted puede encontrar la lista de precios y los formularios (en español) para alquilar los esmoquínes por internet en nuestra página web en la pestaña “Forms.” Formularios impresos estarán disponibles antes de que el día de las pruebas.
Vestido Negro Aprobado
Si usted desea comprar un nuevo vestido de concierto, hay cuatro estilos disponibles. Si desea pedir prestado un vestido, intentaremos prestarle el estilo que usted quiere, pero la mayor parte de nuestros vestidos de préstamo están en el “Estilo A” de manga larga. Pruebas para determinar los tamaños de los estudiantes serán durante todas las clases de Banda de Concierto. Usted puede comprar los vestidos por internet en nuestra página web en la pestaña “Forms.”
Welcome back, parents!
¡Bienvenidos de vuelta, papás!
Para leer este mensaje es español, haga click aquí.
We’re excited for the 2017-2018 Viking Band season. Please read through for important information regarding student registrations, our annual parent meeting, volunteers sign ups and our upcoming Band Camp.
Viking Marching Band Camp Registration
We’re are at the countdown for Marching Band Camp. If you haven’t yet, make sure to register your student using our Online Registration Form. Be sure to print and sign the Off Campus Permission and Photo Release Form. (The online form will also direct you to sign this form.) If you have trouble with the links in this email, all forms are available on our website http://www.samohiband.com; click on Forms/Band Family Information.
Band Camp will be held in the Samohi Band Room and Athletic Field on August 7th – 11th and August 14th – 18th, 2017 from 12 noon to 8 pm.
This year’s camp cost of $250 per student for the two weeks of instruction is due at the beginning of camp, and is part of the estimated $750 per pupil cost of one year in the marching band. Your generous contribution helps cover the costs of training, outfitting and equipping the students all year long, beginning with Band Camp and ending with the Fourth of July Parade.
All students are able to participate in all aspects of the program regardless of their ability to contribute financially. Scholarships are available; please contact Mr. McKeown directly for more information.
Attending Band Camp
Band Camp is an important and MANDATORY part of Marching Band and Color Guard class. Students who miss any portion of Band Camp are subject to reassignment to alternate (understudy) positions within the Band. Students should contact Mr. Mckeown (email@example.com) if they are to miss any part of Band Camp.
During camp students should come prepared to work outside several hours a day. All students must:
- Bring a 1 gallon thermos with ice water with their name on it. It’s going to be hot! Right now, Vons has 1-gallon Coleman jugs on sale for $6.99. Similar jugs are available at sporting goods stores and online, like this Coleman jug on Amazon.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes. Any suitable for PE class is appropriate for camp.
- Wear comfortable clothing for warm weather, and bring layers for cooler temperatures in the evening.
- Bring a 1”- 1.5” binder, a pencil and 25 sheet protectors.
- Don’t forget the water.
- Wear sunblock and bring extra to reapply during the day.
- Bring sunglasses. There are times when students will be rehearsing facing west at sunset.
- Bring snacks for brief breaks.
- Have a plan for dinner break. Students are allowed to go off campus during the dinner break. Parents must make arrangements ahead of time as food is not provided, either leave food with their student, or give them permission and money to go off campus. Most students prefer to eat at local restaurants, (Subway, El Pollo Loco, Dominos, etc). Students may go off campus ONLY when paired with another student or in a group.
- Did we mention water? Seriously, water fountains in Samohi are few and far between. Each student should bring AT LEAST 1 gallon of water and refill their thermos as needed. Student should keep their water thermos at all times.
Annual Marching Band Parents Meeting & Potluck
Per tradition, we’ll have our marching band parents’ potluck on the last day of Band Camp, this year also combined with our parents meeting and a teaser reveal of the 2017-2018 show.
Mark your calendar for early arrival on Friday August 18th at 5.30 p.m., followed by our potluck at 6.p.m. Make sure to sign up for dishes here:
Volunteers Needed during Band Camp
We need parents to come help us during marching band camp to sort through the over one hundred uniforms we have. We fit all students to their new season uniforms, clean up our inventory, do repairs, and set each student up with all they need for the new competition season.
For dates and times sign up here:
Many thanks to Mudita Bahadur, Natalie DiMundo, Alma Ruiz, Ana Vazquez, and Jackson Weill for washing the marching band pants!
Welcome to the 2017-18 Marching Band Season!
How to stay informed
Marching Band hits the ground running! Here are a few suggestions to help you stay in the loop:
1) You may subscribe to the Samohi Band Google Calendar by clicking SUBSCRIBE HERE (works with Google Calendar and iCal).
We are also working on a printable one-page Band Calendar (subject to change).
2) Bookmark our NEW Samohi Bands website http://www.samohiband.com, which keeps reminders and all important information with easy searching options.
3) Like the Samohi Band’s Facebook page where we post regular updates and announcements: Samohi Band on Facebook
Reach out to us!
Mr. Kevin McKeown is our Director of Bands <firstname.lastname@example.org>. You can also send us an email to email@example.com. Yunilda Esquivel is taking over as VP of Marching Band and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested on learning about volunteering opportunities, donations and sharing other parents interests.
We look forward seeing your students at Band Camp and all our parents at our parents’ meeting on August 18th.
To Marching Band Families:
Once again, the Samohi Athletic Department has invited the Viking Marching Band to submit photos and dedications or “Shout Outs” to be printed in their 2017 football programs.
Our first home football game performance will be Friday, August 25th, 2017. (All home football games are included in our Online Band Calendar, and our Printable Band Calendar.) Football programs will be for sale at Corsair Stadium at all home football games.
It is also possible for parents of Band seniors to purchase an full or 1/2-page Tribute Page in the program, but space is going fast! If you would like to order a Tribute Page, please contact Lori Whitesell ASAP at email@example.com, and she will tell you how to do it.
If you would like to purchase a “Shout Out” for your student, there are 3 ways to order:
- Use our Online Order Form and pay with a credit/debit card or PayPal.
- Use a Printable Order Form and pay with cash or check, or
- Send us money with the Venmo app (send to firstname.lastname@example.org), and email your Shout-Out to email@example.com.
The deadline to submit Tributes and Shout-Outs is Thursday, August 10, 2017.
We have three rehearsals remaining for marching band and color guard, before we start Band Camp on August 7th. Remember, Band Camp runs from 12 noon – 8 p.m. August 7th – 11th AND August 14th – 18th.
At Thursday rehearsals, students get a sneak peek at our show music (all four movements!), lear some marching basics (bring water and comfortable clothes), and play some of our favorite football game pep tunes.
(FYI, Percussion students meet with Andy on Mondays 1-4 p.m.)
These rehearsals are not mandatory, but if you are in town, then we expect students to come to the rehearsals and get a head start on the season. Also, if you haven’t registered and paid your donation for the marching season, please do so soon. Click HERE to register. We have plenty of options for paying, and hope that we can have money in our program to pay our coaches for band camp and the season.
We are hoping/expecting all students to pay $250 for Band Camp (scholarships are available…no student will be left out!), and $550 for the rest of marching season. This includes $50 for meals at all competitions. If you can pay the complete $800 for the season, or more, we gladly accept contributions via our registration form, via our monthly contribution plan, or at any time during the school year. If you are able to sponsor other students it helps us tremendously because we need everyone, students/staff/parents to be successful.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Director Kevin McKeown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s that time of year again to sign-up for the 2017-2018 Marching Band and Color Guard!
Dear 2017-2018 Students and Parents,
The form to indicate whether you are interested in joining the Samohi Viking Marching Band and Color Guard for the upcoming school year is now available. If you are a current marching band member and are not planning on returning, please fill out the survey as well.
Band camp will be taking place August 7th-11th and 14th-18th from 12 noon until 8 pm daily. Please do NOT plan to go out of town during these dates if you intend on joining us in the marching band. Band camp is crucial for setting the marching band up for a successful season. Please also be aware that during the fall semester, marching band meets everyday (including Wednesdays!) at 7 am.
If you have friends who do not play standard band instruments or have a background in dance, please encourage them to consider learning a new instrument or joining the color guard. There are opportunities for all!
The deadline to have this survey completed is May 19th. If you have any questions about marching band requirements, please do not hesitate to email Mr. McKeown (email@example.com) or our instructional assistant Ms. Kaddoura (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you in the fall!
Director of Bands, Santa Monica High School