We welcome all parents/guardians of current Samohi Band students to join us for a recap of Fall 2017 events and information about 2018 concerts and fundraisers. This is for parents of students enrolled in any of our classes – Concert, Marching, or Jazz Band. We hope to see you there!
Samohi Band Parents Association Meeting Tuesday, January 9 at 7:00 pm in the Band Room (M102)
Annual Marching Band Parents Meeting & Potluck Friday, August 18th Per tradition, we’ll have our marching band family night potluck on the last day of Band Camp. This year the potluck is combined with our first marching band parents’ meeting and a teaser reveal of the 2017 field show.
All parents, guardians, and siblings of the members of the 2017 Viking Marching Band are welcome to attend!
Here’s a brief timeline for those unable to make the early welcome:
5.30 p.m. Early Arrival – Dishes drop off
6.00 p.m. Students’ Dinner
6.15 p.m. Parents’ Meeting Start
7.15 p.m. Show Preview
We hope you are enjoying your summer! We are looking forward to the Viking Band performance at the 11th annual Santa Monica 4th of July Parade. Click HERE for more information about the parade.
Parade Camp for musicians and Color Guard students who would like to march in the parade is 1:00-4:00 pm Thursday, June 29th, Friday, June 30th, and Monday, July 3rd.
PARENTS – we need your help washing 100 pairs of uniform pants by the end of Parade Camp.
All pants will be moved to the Band Room on Thursday, June 29th. If you can help, please have your student take 1 – 2 bags of pants home after the rehearsal. Each bag contains 5 pairs of pants (one full load for a typical washing machine). Washing instructions are included. Please wash the pants and return them to the Band Room at the start of rehearsal on Monday, July 3rd.
Questions? Email Alisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your help!
– The Viking Marching Band Uniform Committee
Queridos padres de la Viking Marching Band,
¡Esperamos todos disfruten de su verano! Estamos ansiosos por la actuación de la banda Viking en el 11 ª desfile anual del 4 de Julio de Santa Mónica. Haga clic AQUÍ para más información sobre el desfile.
Los ensayos del “Parade Camp” para los músicos y abanderados que deseen marchar en el desfile son de 1:00 a 4:00 pm el jueves 29 de junio, el viernes 30 de junio y el lunes 3 de julio.
PADRES – necesitamos su ayuda para lavar 100 pares de pantalones de uniforme antes del ensayo final del Parade Camp.
Todos los pantalones serán trasladados a la Sala de Banda el jueves 29 de junio. Si usted puede ayudar, por favor haga que su estudiante tome una o más bolsas de pantalones a casa después del ensayo. Cada bolsa contiene 5 pares de pantalones (una carga completa para una lavadora típica). Las instrucciones de lavado están incluidas. Por favor, lavar los pantalones y devuélvalos a la Sala de Banda al comienzo del ensayo del lunes, 3 de julio.
¿Preguntas? Enviar un correo electrónico a Alisa <email@example.com>
We are seeking a volunteer for a short-term help that the directors need every Spring. The Awards Chair communicates with the directors to get an accurate list of Samohi Band Seniors and other honorees, to get trophies, etc. in time for the May 23rd Pops Concert.
The job involves a lot of phone calls and emails, and a few trips to trophy shops in Santa Monica and Westwood. If you volunteer, we would also like you to make sure that your successor has all of the details necessary to continue the job.
To volunteer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the “Contact” tab at the top of this web page.
Samohi Band Awards may include:
– The Fermata Award for four years of dedicated study and performance with the Samohi Concert Bands, Jazz Bands, Marching Band or Color Guard;
– The Nautilus Award, recognizing Band student honors at the regional, state, or national level;
– John Philip Sousa Band Award, recognizing a graduating Senior for “superior musicianship, dependability, loyalty, and cooperation;”
– Richard Wagnon Director’s Award, presented to a graduating Senior for “outstanding musicianship;”
– The Glenn Katz Memorial Scholarship, presented to a Senior music student who is planning to pursue music in college, and who has made “significant contributions to the Samohi Music Department;”
– Kiwanis Solo Instrumental Competition Scholarships: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners divided into a 9th and 10th grade division, and a 11th and 12th grade division. This competition occurs after school, and the selection of finalists is made by an independent adjudicator. (Samohi Band directors are not involved in the Kiwanis selection process; students should look for application information in late April.)