Why Give to the Bands?
In Santa Monica, we are fortunate to have a school district that supports the arts. At the high-school level, SMMUSD provides funding for two full-time band directors, partial funding for color guard instruction, and a small stipend for an instructional aide in band classrooms for a few hours per week.
To supplement what the district provides, the Samohi Band Parents Association (BPA) seeks donations and raises funds to help deliver the highest possible quality music education to our students. On average, the Samohi Band Parents Association (BPA) spends
- $250 per pupil per year on the concert band program, or 2 weeks of marching Band Camp
- $850 per pupil per year on marching band and color guard (including Band Camp)
- and $300 per pupil per year on jazz band.
What does this pay for? Well, you may have heard the expression “Stuff vs. Staff” in relation to fundraising at SMMUSD schools.* For the Samohi Band program, the BPA pays for both stuff AND staff.
- Music folders and stands
- Photocopies (the BPA pays a third of the cost to own, supply, and maintain a photocopier used by the Samohi band, choir and orchestra directors)
- Band room lockers and related supplies
- New instrument purchases
- School-owned instrument repairs and supplies
- Concert programs
- Student awards
- Concert, marching, and jazz festival entry fees (our directors must pay school participation fees so that our students can audition for all-southern and all-state honor groups)
- Marching band & guard uniforms and supplies
- Percussion instructor for all five concert band classes
- Jazz Band II instructor
- Concert band festival adjudicators/clinicians
- Partial funding for the color guard caption head & color guard tech
- Marching band percussion caption head & percussion tech
- Marching band visual caption head & two visual techs
- Miscellaneous concert and jazz band clinicians
* Re: “Stuff vs. Staff” in SMMUSD — In general, the PTAs raise funds for necessary “stuff” such as supplies, books, and equipment at school sites, while your donations to the Santa Monica-Malibu Education Foundation fund additional staff and programs at each school. For the Samohi Band program, the BPA pays both.
Please keep in mind that all Samohi musicians may participate in all aspects of the band program, regardless of their family’s ability or willingness to donate.
Click HERE to fill out our one-time donation form.
With the form, you may specify where you would like your donation to be directed, e.g.: concert, jazz, or marching band/color guard. Your gift may be tax deductible as a charitable contribution, and we will be happy to send you a receipt acknowledging your contribution. Our Tax ID Number is 95-2563339.
Take the 10-Month Pledge
Click HERE to subscribe to monthly donations for a period of 10 months.
Additional ways to support the bands:
Ralph’s Community Rewards
If you have a Ralphs rewards card, Ralphs/Kroger will make a contribution to Samohi Band every time you shop – and it doesn’t cost you a penny! To enroll (or re-enroll), just go to https://www.ralphs.com/account/communityrewards and search for “SANTA MONICA BAND” (make sure you spell it out — “Samohi” won’t come up with any results). Click on “ENROLL” and then follow the instructions. Over the years, our Ralph’s Community Rewards program has brought in some much-needed funds — so we encourage you to sign up and get shopping!
We are also enrolled in a simple e-scrip program that gives a percentage to the band program whenever you frequent local restaurants and merchants. To register your credit/debit card, just go to www.escrip.com and sign up. This time you’ll enter your zip code, then search for “Samohi Band,” and voila! All sorts of local restaurants and stores are enrolled in the program, and you can register as many cards as you like.
Bands at the Broad Silent Auction
Each year, Bands at the Broad helps the Samohi Band program raise funds for travel scholarships for concert band students.
Click HERE to donate an item or service to this important fundraiser.