Marching band camp is a mandatory part of being in the Viking Marching Band — and it’s also fun! Students should come prepared to work outside several hours a day. Here’s a handy list of what you need for band camp.
Band Camp Students MUST:
- Register before band camp, and bring the necessary forms on the first day. Access the forms here.
- Bring a one-gallon thermos of ice water with their name on it. It’s going to be hot! Jugs are available at sporting goods stores, Target, supermarkets, and online.
- Wear comfortable, closed-toed shoes. Any shoe suitable for PE class is appropriate for camp.
- Wear lightweight clothing for warm weather, and bring a jacket or sweater for cooler temperatures in the evening.
- Bring a 1”- 1.5” binder, a pencil and 25 sheet protectors.
- Don’t forget the water.
- Wear sunblock and bring extra to reapply during the day.
- Bring sunglasses and a hat. There are times when students will be rehearsing facing west at sunset.
- Bring snacks for brief breaks.
- Have a plan for the dinner break. Students are allowed to go off campus during the dinner break. Parents must make arrangements ahead of time, as food is not provided. Either leave food with your student or give him/her permission and money to go off campus. Most students prefer to eat at local restaurants, (Subway, El Pollo Loco, Dominos, etc). Students may go off campus ONLY when paired with another student or in a group.
- Did we mention water? Seriously, water fountains in Samohi are few and far between. Each student should bring AT LEAST one gallon of water and refill their jug/thermos as needed. Students should keep their water jugs with them at all times.
^^ Look, a one-gallon water jug! ^^
Watch this video by our marching band leaders explaining everything you need to know about band camp!