ATTENTION: Students and potential chaperones attending the Wind Ensemble Tour in Rome, Italy – April 6-13, 2019:

In order to participate in this tour, you must have a passport that is valid until at least October 14, 2019.

If you are a U.S. citizen you MUST leave and enter the U.S. as a citizen; i.e., even if you are a citizen of another country, you can not legally use your foreign passport to pass through U.S. immigration.

If your passport expires on or after October 14, 2019, please contact us at to submit a scan of your passport. The travel agent requires this scan, in order to book the flights for you.

If your passport expires before October 14, 2019, please follow the instructions below to renew your passport, or to obtain a new one.

First-Time Passports OR Replacement Passports for applicants who were under age 16 at the time their last passport was issued:

Step 1: Start Early – Gather Documents

Apply for your passport several months before your trip. First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who were under age 16 at the time their last passport was issued must submit their passport application at an authorized Acceptance Facility (see below). The U.S. State Department website explains what you’ll need to bring with you. Here is a summary of the documents you will need:

  1. Application forms (unsigned)
  2. Proof of identity document and a photocopy of the front and back
  3. Acceptable forms of identification include an existing passport, naturalization certificate, driver’s license, military ID card or other current government-issued ID. A photocopy of the identity documents also must accompany the passport application.
  4. Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
  • Birth Certificate showing birth in the US – This must be an original or certified copy of the long-form certificate showing your parents names, issued by the municipality in which you were born. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not accepted. You can acquire a certified copy of your birth certificate from the Office of Vital Statistics in the location of your birth or through
  • Previous US Passport – Both valid and expired passports may be used. If your appearance has changed significantly since your passport was issued, you may need to submit a different form of proof of US citizenship.
  • US Naturalization Certificate – Original or certified copy.
  • Consular Record of Birth Abroad – If you were born overseas to a US parent, you can submit an original Consular Record of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350).

     5. Passport fees – LINK to current fees


Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package

  1. Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.
  2. Complete your Form DS-11 Application for U.S. Passport on the State Department website.
  3. Print your completed application.
  4. DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. Your signature must be witnessed by a representative of the Acceptance Facility where you submit your application.
  5. Have a passport photo taken.
    NOTE: Many drug stores (Rite Aid, CVS) and Passport Service offices can take your photo. If you plan to have your photo taken at the time of your passport application, call or check the site’s website before your appointment, to confirm whether or not your Passport Service office takes photos.
  6. Photocopy your proof of identity and U.S. Citizenship documents.
  7. Calculate your fees – LINK to current fees
  8. Call or check the website of your Acceptance Facility, to learn what forms of payment they accept for their fees.
  9. Prepare payment for State Department fees. State Department fees are mailed with your application. You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier’s, traveler’s check, or money order, payable to “U.S. Department of State.”


Step 3: Find a Passport Application Acceptance Facility – 2 Suggestions:

  1. The Santa Monica City Clerk’s Office is an authorized United States Passport Acceptance Facility. This is an especially convenient location for Samohi Students. The City Clerk’s Office is located inside City Hall, 1685 Main St, Santa Monica. Passport Service hours are BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Click on the link below for more information:

Santa Monica City Clerk – Passport Acceptance Facility

  1. United States Post Offices have set hours for passport services. MANY REQUIRE AN APPOINTMENT. Use the “Find USPS Locations” tool to find the nearest Post Office offering passport services. Here are the instructions:
  • Go to: Find USPS Locations
  • Select Passports from Location Types.
  • Enter a ZIP Code™ or address.
  • Select a mileage range.
  • Click Refine search to select services such as walk-in, appointment, or photos.
  • Click “Search.”


Special Requirements:  Passports for Minors Under 16

Passport applications for children under 16 have special requirements:

  • Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a child’s passport. The best way to give consent is for both parents/guardians to go with the child when applying.
  • Children need evidence of citizenship.
  • Parents/guardians need proof of parental relationship.
  • NOTE: Children’s passports are valid for only 5 years.
  • Click here for the U.S. State Department instructions on how to apply for a passport for children under 16:  Apply for a Passport – Children Under 16 

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.